Grand prix win for Lancashire producer
22nd Aug 2018 / By Alistair Driver
Lancashire farrow-to-finish producer David Goodier has been named an EU PiG Ambassadors in recognition of best practice on his farm.
Eight pig producers from across Europe were awarded the title as winners of the EU PiG Innovation Group (EU PiG) Grand Prix, which champions innovation in European pig production. The annual competition is designed to identify best practice on pig farms and share it with pig producers throughout the European network and beyond.
Mr Goodier, who until recently was the host of AHDB Pork's Strategic Farm, was given the award in recognition of his progress in improving young sow retention.
The winning examples of best practice, split into four categories, from the 2018 EU PiG Grand Prix are:
- Daily manure removal to reduce emissions – Netherlands
- Improving young sow retention – UK
- Easy weighing of pigs for slaughter – Netherlands
- Olive oil as a source of fat for pigs – Belgium
- Birth management in loose farrowing systems Austria
- Novelty enrichment material Spain
- Different feeds as zinc oxide alternatives Belgium
- Cross-company approach to PRRS Belgium.
You can read more about the eight successful EU PiG Ambassadors here
And you can read more about this story in Pig World