Pig Industry Scholarship offers great opportunities for attracting new talent to the sector
7th Jul 2021 / By Alistair Driver
At a time when the need to attract fresh talent to the pig sector has never been greater, the Pig Industry Scholarship is on the lookout for businesses that could benefit from taking part.
The Pig Industry Scholarship, developed by AHDB, the NPA Allied Industry Group (now part of the NPA Pig Industry Group) and Harper Adams University, recruits highly qualified and committed young entrants into the pig industry. Over the years, it has seen 35 students spend their placement year within the pig industry.
The scheme organisers are looking for forward-thinking pig producers and other businesses across the sector that believe they could benefit from a new approach to recruitment and attracting the next generation of employees to the pig industry.
Applications close on August 31.
They have outlined the benefits to businesses of the scheme, including:
- Attract potential new employees from a huge pool of talent
- Gain first access to students looking for a placement
- Be seen as a business that cares about upskilling the next generation
- Establish a relationship with a student early in their studies
- Opportunity to appraise students during a ‘year-long interview’
- Financial investment is similar to advertising in the national farming press and is often tax-deductible.
AHDB said: "If you could offer a placement, be it on farm, in an animal health or nutrition business, engineering or perhaps in agri-food and marketing, we would love to hear from you."
To learn more about what the scholarship programme entails, visit AHDB's website or watch a webinar recording from last year that showcased a participating business and student.
Alternatively, get in touch with Pippa Handley, AHDB senior knowledge exchange manager, to discuss the programme in more detail.
T: 07580 704323