African swine fever – latest updates and important information
African swine fever cases continue to escalate in Asia and the virus remains a problem in central and eastern Europe. The UK is vulnerable to an outbreak, which would cause huge damage across the supply chain.
The NPA is urging everyone who keeps pigs and all those connected to the pig industry to be extra vigilant in keeping the disease out but also to be prepared in case the worst does happen.
More ASF confirmed in Laos
Over the last few days the OIE has published the details of further African swine fever (ASF) outbreaks in Laos – outbreaks have been confirmed in Phongsali Province in north Laos (3), Huaphanh Province in east Laos (4) and Xieng Khouang Province in north east Laos (1).
Laos first confirmed ASF in June 2019 with seven outbreaks in the Saravane province, which takes the total outbreaks to 15.
We are providing regular updates on our website about the ASF situation in Asia and Europe and what is happening in the UK to keep the virus out.
Aug 23, 2019 - New poster targetted at students
Aug 22, 2019 - Latest situation assessment from Defra - S.E Asia and Europe
Aug 19, 2019 - More ASF confirmed in Laos
Aug 16, 2019 - ASF in Serbia
Aug 7, 2019 - ASF awareness campaign prominent at Heathrow
Aug 5, 2019 - 130,000 pigs culled as ASF wreaks havoc in Bulgaria
July 31, 2019 - NPA welcomes new Government ASF awareness campaign
July 26, 2019 - African swine fever confirmed in Slovakia for first time
July 22, 2019 - 17,000 pigs culled on Bulgarian pig farm due to ASF
July 18, 2019 - NPA calls for more resource to help keep ASF out of the UK
July 16, 2019 - ASF outbreak could cost industry £85m, Government predicts
July 4, 2019 - Philippines bans German pork imports over ASF fears
July 4, 2019 - NPA welcomes Defra plans to step up ASF border controls
June 21, 2019 - Scientists announce breakthrough in search for ASF vaccine
June 20, 2019 - OIE confirms further spread of ASF in Asia
June 11, 2019 - APHA highlights ASF risk posed by Asian pork imports
June 6, 2019 - ASF confirmed on farm with 8,000 pigs in Poland
June 6, 2019 - Canada ASF messages a lesson to our Government
June 3, 2019 - ASF confirmed in North Korea as spread across Asia continues
May 21, 2019 - ASF spreading across Vietnam
May 17, 2019 - US to test pigs for ASF as surveillance is stepped up
May 13, 2019 - African swine fever confirmed at Hong Kong slaughterhouse
May 10, 2019 - How China’s ASF crisis could affect the global pork sector
May 10, 2019 - Researchers move step closer to wild boar ASF virus
See more archived stories at the bottom of this page.
The NPA is taking a multi-faceted approach:
- Communication - we are communicating with producers and the allied industry to get across the key messages about keeping the disease out, including ensuring pigs are not fed food waste and that pig keepers ensure visitors to have not had recent contact with affected regions (more details below).
- Contingency planning - While we must remain optimistic that we can keep the virus out of the UK, the NPA is urging all pig producers to consider their contingency plans in the event that the virus does make it here. This would result in the imposition of movement controls and other restrictions (more details below).
- Feral boar - The NPA is concerned about the risk of disease spread posed by feral boar, particularly in the Forest of Dean. We will continue to discuss the situation with Defra and to work with other organisations in and around the forest to raise awareness of the risks.
- Border controls - We are urging the Government to ensure it does its bit at our border control points to keep potentially infected meat out of the UK.
Biosecurity and waste food
- A summary of the key messages for keeping African swine fever out of the UK can be viewed on the NPA website here
- Defra-APHA summarise the symptoms and provide biosecurity advice here
- A campaign to highlight the dangers of swill feeding and more information can be found on this link. All pig keepers and the public must ensure pigs are not fed catering waste, kitchen scraps or pork products. Feeding of meat products to feral pigs is also illegal.
Symptoms and contingency planning
- It is vital that all pig keepers familiarise themselves with the symptoms of ASF. To help with this Defra-APHA have published some photos of clinical signs of disease of African swine fever on Flickr.
- African swine fever is a notifiable animal disease. If you suspect it, you must report it immediately by calling the Defra Rural Services Helpline on 03000 200 301. Failure to do so is an offence.
- If African swine fever is confirmed, it will be controlled in line with the contingency plan for exotic notifiable diseases and the African swine fever disease control strategy for Great Britain.
- The NPA has published a contingency plan, giving advice on how to respond to notifiable disease outbreaks - you can view it here
- A Defra-APHA poster for pig keepers summarising actions they can take can be downloaded here
- AHDB has set up an African swine fever hub that includes advice on symptoms and biosecurity and a useful video. You can view it here.
- It includes a link to a range of resources and posters that can be downloaded, printed out and displayed on farms.
- APHA's assessments of the disease situation in central and eastern Europe can be viewed here
- Click here to view an extraordinary video charting the spread of ASF across Europe over the past decade. It is well worth a view!
April 23, 2019 - Panic in China as ASF takes its toll
Apr 18, 2019 - ‘Not enough pork in the whole world’ to fill China’s supply gap (Pig World article)
Apr 12, 2019 - World Pork Expo cancelled due to ASF fears
Apr 9, 2019 - ASF insurance questionnaire
Apr 4, 2019 - Cambodia confirms first case of African swine fever
Mar 12, 2019 - Pig prices in China soaring as ASF hits production
Feb 22, 2019 - BBC discusses ASF and feral pigs in the Forest of Dean
Feb 21, 2019 - African swine fever confirmed in Vietnam
Feb 18, 2019 - 15,000 pigs culled as CSF hits Japan
Feb 15, 2019 - Arrests made as part of Belgium ASF investigation
Feb 9, 2019 - ASF threat – what more can be done? (Pig World article)
Feb 9, 2019 - The many ways African swine fever could get into our pigs (Pig World article)
Feb 7, 2019 - African Swine Fever in China causes pork price drop (Pig World article)
Jan 25, 2019 - Growing concern that ASF could reach France
Jan 21, 2019 - See Zoe discuss ASF on Countryfile
Jan 18, 2019 - Australian border checks pick up ASF virus in pork products
Jan 17, 2019 - France plans wild boar cull
Jan 9, 2019 - China's battle to contain ASF
Dec 6, 2018 - Defra updates African swine fever advice
Dec 4, 2018 - Watch Zoe explain the impact of African swine fever
Nov 30, 2018 - Eustice outlines Government ASF preparations
Nov 29, 2018 - African swine fever awareness videos posted on YouTube
Nov 28, 2018 - Defra publishes updated notifiable disease contingency plan
Nov 21, 2018 - NPA spreads ASF message in Times article
Nov 12, 2018 - ASF virus detected in pig feed in China
Nov 8, 2018 - Review your unit's biosecurity in light of ASF threat (Pig World Veterinary View comment)
Oct 31, 2018 - Belgian authorities planning wild boar cull
Oct 19, 2018 - Belgium Government releases €1m for ASF cull
Oct 16, 2018 - ASF case study on Chinese farm (very useful article on Pigs 333 website)
Oct 15, 2018 - ASF confirmed on 20,000-pig farm in China
Oct 12, 2018 - France to build fence to keep African swine fever out
Oct 11, 2018 - Confirmed ASF cases in Belgium rises to 75
Oct 8, 2018 - Did soldiers bring African swine fever to Belgium?
Oct 4, 2018 - Health officials 'very worried' as African swine fever spreads in Europe and Asia (CNN article)
Oct 4, 2018 - Can China contain African swine fever?
Oct 4, 2018 - Keeping African swine fever out of the UK (Pig World feature)
Oct 4, 2018 - ASF reaches western Europe – what it means for the UK pig sector (Pig World feature)
Sept 24, 2018 - Belgium to cull 4,000 pigs to control African swine fever
Sept 17, 2018 - UK African swine fever risk level unchanged
Sept 14, 2018 - African swine fever in Belgium - NPA statement
Sept 14, 2018 - Keeping African swine fever out of the UK pig herd
Sept 14, 2018 - France implementing 'rigorous' action plan to keep ASF out
Sept 13, 2018 - African swine fever confirmed in Belgium
Sept 7, 2018 - Chinese ASF cases rise to 13 as UN holds emergency meeting
Sept 3, 2018 - ASF risk levels raised following Romania outbreaks
Aug 21, 2018 - China confirms third case of African swine fever
Aug 17, 2018 - Second ASF case detected in China
Aug 3, 2018 - African Swine Fever has reached China